Thursday, July 1, 2010

We are Our Worst Critics

Well, maybe it was an ex-boyfriend I dumped years ago, but I know that I've been consistently my own worst critic. My upbringing didn't help, either. I was taught to be modest about myself or my accomplishments because it would be viewed as obnoxious by others if I seemed the least bit pleased with myself.

Looking in the mirror, how often do I find fault with myself vs. find what I like about myself? Faults = 10. Points = 0. Does that sound the least bit familiar? How horrible it is that I've wired my brain to do that.

I think it was Oprah years ago who said she kept a journal of things she was thankful for every day and it helped her realize how fortunate she really is. In one of my college writing courses, the assignment was to make lists of things and write about them.

I'm going to try something... I'm going to mesh those writing projects together with a little tweak and list 10 things I LIKE about myself. Who wants to try this, too? Okay, if you can't think of 10, I'm sure everyone else can help out and think of stuff they admire about you in mere seconds.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, here goes...
    1. I like my hair which is thicker now than when I was a kid.
    2. I like being Japanese-American. So what if I'm often asked how long I've been in the country.
    3. I like my feet. It's not too hard finding shoes.
    4. I like my artsy fartsy tendencies.
    5. I like being able to write.
    6. I like the way my body responds to exercise. I notice a difference after a couple of weeks.
    7. I like being able to tan rather quickly.
    8. I like my ability to empathize.
    9. I like my off-base sense of humor.
    10. I like my smile. I try to show it a lot.

    Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Did this ever resonate with me! I have always been super critical of myself. I could easily make 3 lists right now of 10 things I DON'T like about myself :)

    But I'll tackle your challenge...

    1. I like that I (confession - my connection timed out while I tried to complete this sentence the first time!)

    So here it goes again!

    1. I like that I am musical and that playing bells is something I can do with my father and son.
    2. I like my laugh.
    3. I like that being nice comes naturally to me.
    4. I like that I have a story for every occasion.
    5. I like that I can sing the alphabet backwards.
    6. I like the way I parent.
    7. I like that I am strong. (I've been hearing this from the people in my exercise class and it feels really good!)
    8. I like that I didn't let a series of unfortunate events in my childhood prevent me from living well as an adult.
    9. I like my ability to see the best in people.
    10. I like that I did this list even though it's the most awkward thing I've done in a really long time!

    Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete